Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

Are the Potty Mouth pills safe for my dog Are there any negative

Are the Potty Mouth pills safe for my dog? Are there any negative side effects or could any harm be done to my dog by giving the pills?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question,

1. The ingredients of this product { Four Paws Potty Mouth Coprophagia Prevention Pills } are Brewers Yeast, Cayenne, Biotin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6 Niaciamide, Iron and Copper. Provided you stick to the recommended dose rate of one tablet for every 10 lbs of body weight then this product would be very unlikely to do your dog any harm.

2. That said if it is clearly not working then do not persevere with it.

3. The scientific name for this condition is coprophagia by the way, there is no one answer for every case but there are a number of things you can try.

There are a number of described reasons why your dogs might do this and I will list them below :

1. As I said it can just be a habit and they do it for no other reason than they like doing so, young dogs often quickly grow out of the habit by the way.

2. If they are on a high quality dog food which is rich in protein there may be undigested food in the faeces which is attractive to the dog. You see the dog cannot digest all of this type of food. The remedy is sometimes to put the dog on a lower plane of feeding { cheaper brand } .

3. This habit is often associated with dogs which are under stimulated or left alone for to long a periods.

4. It has been said that eating their own faeces is common in dogs which are lacking nutrients in their diets but these days with modern dog foods that is open to debate.

The above is the mental list I used when I talked to clients about this problem, the truth is we often never find out the real cause.

If it becomes a habit there are a number of things I advised clients to do, and some clients have reported success with these measures. You can sprinkle paprika pepper or a similar hot sauce on to your dog's faeces as soon as they passes them if you can catch the in the act, the message might get through that way.

There is a product made called For-Bid (available from your veterinarian) that you sprinkle on their food and it has been shown to have some success in stopping the behavior. LINK

Another thing that you can try is Adolph's (and in this case the brand name seems to be important) meat tenderiser sprinkled on the food. Some owners have reported success with this method. Other owners have reported success by adding pineapple juice to the food.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.