Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

my dog choked himself on his leash when it got caught jumping

my dog choked himself on his leash when it got caught jumping into the suv. What can I give him to sooth his throat and stop him from gagging?

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I am sorry your boy is having trouble.

Did you use the aloe on the outside of the throat or did you give it orally? If you gave orally how much?

Is he breathing ok?

Any swelling in the neck area?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he's breathing ok, no swelling, about 2 ounces aloe vera orally in his lunch yesterday

It is aways possible that he has damaged the trachea when he choked himself.

Please do not use aloe ,this is actually toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting diarrhea, depression, tremors, and change in urine color.

Read more here

Milk is also not recommend, dogs are lactose intolerant so this too can cause vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.Nausea can lead to gagging.

If you have Pepcid AC this will help calm the stomach if this is increasing the gagging

Here is a link to the use of and dosing for this medication.

You can give some warm water or chicken broth with a small amount of honey to sooth the throat.

You also want to moisten the dog food if he eats dry kibble.

If he is still gagging tomorrow I would suggest having your vet take a look just to be sure he has not caused damage to the trachea.There may be internal swelling that you can not see , your vet will be able to give medication if needed.

I hope he does ok,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Edited by Candy on 1/11/2011 at 12:51 AM EST