Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My two year old sheltie is limping after laying down. He ran

My two year old sheltie is limping after laying down. He ran hard in depp snow yesterday and the limp is worse. When I move his leg he doesn't guard it or make any noise. Took him to the vet but he wasn't limping that day and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with his leg. Didn't warrant xrays at the time.

We took a Lyme titer, but the vet isn't too concerned. Could it be displasia or arthritis?
Hi there. Two is a little young for arthritis. I would be thinking more along the lines of a luxating patella, which is common in small breeds. It is where the kneecap slips partially out of the groove, and it causes intermittent pain. I would have your vet check specifically for this, and then if that is the problem, your vet can prescribe anti inflammatory medication to help when there is a flare up. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The vet manipulated his leg looking for various conditions, probably including luxating patella. Since the dog did not react to manipulation, the condition could not be replicated and while the vet didn't rule out that condition, he didn't think additional studies were warranted. If it was luxating patella, would the limp be intermittent and seemingly exercise exacerbated?
Yes, it absolutely would. Many vets don't specifically check for a luxating patella during every orthopedic exam. The symptoms seem to agree with that diagnosis. I'd ask your vet to check that specifically. Best of luck.