Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario

should i leave my 5 mo old puppy in the house when my husband

should i leave my 5 mo old puppy in the house when my husband receives radioactive iodine treatment?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

i there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I'm so sorry you have had such a long wait to get a response. I just logged on and saw your question and have replied right away.

I would like to help you and your dog but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Does the pup sleep on the bed with your husband?

Does the pup spend extensive time in close contact with your husband (ie sitting on his lap on the couch)?

Does the pup drink from the toilet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has been jumping in bed with him. the pup sleeps in our bedroom. the pup sleeps at my husband feet while my husband is sitting in his chair. the pup does not drink out of the toilet.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
I am working on your answer and will be back in about 5 to 10 minutes....

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Oh, could you please tell me what breed your pup is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Oh, I love Dals! Great dogs!

Ok, so the short answer is that it should not be a problem for the dog to stay in the house.

However, the longer answer is that you should take some precautions for about 3 weeks after the I-131 treatment.

I would have your husband avoid prolonged contact with the pup. So, no sleeping on the bed, and no sitting on his lap on the couch for more than about 5 minutes.

It is good that the pup does not drink from the toilet, as he could otherwise be exposed to I-131 that your husband will pass in his urine. To be extra safe, keep the toilet seat closed!

Your husband will have I-131 in his bodily fluids for several weeks after the treatment. So, things like feeding the pup from his mouth should be avoided (this is something that my trainer tries to get me to do with our dog - taking a piece of cheese out of my mouth and dropping it into the dog's mouth to encourage "look at me" behaviour).

I do not anticipate any problems with your pup staying in the house. However, I will just mention that your Dal *could* develop hypothyroidism as he gets older, completely unrelated to your husband's I-131 treatment.

Hypothyroidism is a common problem in many dogs as they age. With this condition, the thyroid gland stops producing adequate quantities of a hormone called thyroxine or T4.

As I am sure you know, T4 controls metabolic rate - the more you have of it the faster your metabolism.

So, in dogs that are hypothyroid, there is not enough T4 and they have very slow metabolisms. They tend to put on weight easily, and sleep a lot, especially in warm spots like in front of the fire. They may develop poor hair coats and be prone to infections (skin, bladder, eye, ear and other). It is diagnosed by a blood test and treated by giving a thyroid supplement. It is not "cured" so supplements must continue for the rest of the dog's life.

More here:

I hope that this helps, and that your husband's treatment goes smoothly!

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide more information if you need it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes,