Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog ate a wet diaper, will it hurt him what can i do

My dog ate a wet diaper, will it hurt him?what can i do? shoud i avoid give him drinking water(thinking those gels in diaper will absorb water and gets bigger....)?!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry no one was available to help you earlier. I just came online and saw your question.

It is possible this will cause a blockage in the digestive tract however often these things pass through with no problem depending on the size of your dog.

I would suggest adding metamucil to the food twice a day for the next 2 days to help the diaper pass through.

Here is information on how much metamucil to use

You need to keep an eye on him for the next few days if he has any problem passing stool, vomits up food, refuses to eat or seem painful in the abdomen he needs to be seen by your vet right away.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

he is about 10-11lbs chihuahua.... his tummy looks round now.. but he doesn't seems painful. i give him a treat and he still take it >.<

can i give him water?? i afraid those gels get inflat and blow out his tummy.

Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Yes you can give a small amount of water, ice cubes would be even better as this will help keep him hydrated but will not allow him to have large amounts all at once.

Try the Metamucil to see if you can get this to pass through. If his stomach stays enlarged or he becomes painful I would have him seen right away.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thx alot
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

You are very welcome

I hope he does ok