Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dogs urine has gone from bright yellow to dark yellow to

My dog's urine has gone from bright yellow to dark yellow to bloody. She drinks plenty of water and has always had a track record of vigorously "licking herself". She has no injury on the outside of her vaginal region and presents with basically what I believe to be a UTI. Is there something I can buy over the counter to treat it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Is she urinating more frequently?

Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is spayed and not urinating any more or less than normal.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Thank you,

It sounds serious as if there is blood in the urine, she either has a severe urinary tract infection, bladder stones, or a kidney infection. Each of these have different treatments so you will need to have it diagnosed first. The vet will check her urine and see if she has bacteria, white blood cells, or blood in her urine. If she has a lot of blood, they will want to take an abdominal x-ray to see if she has bladder stones.

I know this is not what you want to hear but you really need to get her to a veterinarian.

To prevent further infections, her diet may be modified to try and make the ph of the urine neutral rather than acidic or basic. When the vet checks the urine, they will also check the ph level.

There is nothing that you can use to treat this as far as over the counter products. sorry.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are right that it is not something I wanted to hear, but I am grateful for the advice. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

You are welcome.

Hopefully it is just an infection and you can just have a urine test done and get a course of antibiotics.

Make sure you tell the vet that funds are limited, if they are, before they start doing all the tests at once. Just start with a urinalysis.

I know times are tight. Sorry