Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

Looks like my dogs ate some crisco shortening last night. Total

Looks like my dogs ate some crisco shortening last night. Total can is 16oz, maybe 10-12 are missing. Not sure which ate how much, but my smallest dog, 15lbs, can been vomitting for the last 2-3 hours.

How bad is crisco for a dog? Any recommended treatment? My wife is a nurse and is worried about pancreatitis, should we go to the after hours vet on new year's day?

Hi, thanks for your question. Certainly, I would be worried about pancreatitis as well. We commonly see pancreatitis occur after ingestion of a very fatty food, and vomiting is typically the first symptom. If the vomiting is continuing, and this little guy has no interest in food, then I would have to suggest that seeing a veterinarian today is in fact your best option. Pancreatitis is best treated sooner rather than later, for the best possible prognosis.