Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My female Cocker has an itchy vulva and it is quite red. She

My female Cocker has an itchy vulva and it is quite red. She scoots and makes it worse. I am told that it is from allergies of food and to give her Benedryl but I would like this issue to stop! I have changed her food but this does not seem to help. She also rubs her mouth on the floor and couch, itching it also. Her feet are fine. Allergy pills seem to take the itch away for a short time but thisis just covering the problem and not solving it. do you have any suggestions? Thanks Sandra

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I am sorry your girl is having trouble.

What food are you feeding her now?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am feeding her Lamb and Rice food in both soft and dry forms. I also try to make her own food so that i can control what is going in. She does seem to react to beef and perhaps chicken. She is currently on Iams Lamb and Rice.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I might also state that this is not the first time and she has been suffering from this for the last year off and on. I keep that area clean weekly with a disinfectate wash from the vet and she gets 3 benedryl pills a day. She has not yeast infections in her ears!!

Chronic vaginitis in dogs can be due to several things, the Herpes Virus abnormalities of the vulva, food allergies.

If this is due to yeast infection then medications other then the wipes may be needed to get the problem under control.

There is absolutely a possibility that this is related to food.

High carb diets that contain a grain that the dog may be allergic to will cause an over production of yeast in the body and can cause chronic vaginitis or vaginal yeast infection.

Different foods manifest allergies in different ways, feet licking while very common does not have to be present. Iams is both high carb and full of grains.

Dogs can develop food allergies at any times even if they have been on the same food for a long period of time While most people think that food allergies are due to grains such as corn, wheat, bran as well as soy that is in fact not the whole truth. The biggest problem is the PROTEIN source. This includes chicken, lamb and beef.

The following article discusses how to do a food trial in-depth this is the same instructions we give our clients. It is recommended to try a different protein source such as duck, rabbit, kangaroo or Bison and grain free We often see dogs do well on a different protein only to develop an allergy to this as well later down the road. Purina HA or Science diet ZD are top of the line allergen diets. These foods have had the molecules broken down to the point that the body can not identify what they are getting thereby eliminating all chance of an allergic reaction

Read more here

When trying a food trail it is very important that they get no other foods, treats or human foods as this will void out the food trial. This can take 6-8 weeks to show improvement so you must stick with it. Should you opt to try the trial and your baby is a treat eater here is a recipe you can make using his food as to not jeopardize the trial. These recipes are for science diet foods however any food can be used.

Using canned food:

Open the can and shake the loaf of food out of the can.

Cut the loaf into 1/4" thick slices, and then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.

Bake the treats in a microwave oven on high for approximately 2½ to 3 minutes.

Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.

Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.

Do not freeze homemade treats.

For a conventional oven, follow the instructions above and place the bite-sized pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Using Dry Food:

In a blender, add 2 cups of dry food and grind into a powder.

Pour powder into a mixing bowl and gradually add about 1 to 1¼ cups of water, stirring until it forms a dough consistency.

Shape into individual "treats" or "cookies" and flatten the dough using the back of a spoon (the cookies will not flatten like standard "people cookies" do.)

Place treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Do not freeze homemade treats.

I know you have been dealing with this for a long time and I understand the frustration, this can be tough on both the owner and the dog as well.I really believe if you follow the above instructions and eliminate all grains from the diet and change your protein source you will see an improvement. I hope this has been helpful, I would love for you to touch base with me in 3 weeks if you choose to follow my recommendations and let me know how she is doing. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Edited by Candy on 1/1/2011 at 5:35 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much for your acticles and help with our sweet Daisy.

I am from Canada so some dog foods are more difficult to get/find. I also have reviewed the food you suggested and found that many people were unhappy with the Science Diet food?

I am wondering if dogs such as Daisy are ok with a fish diet. I am willing to make my own dog food for her and have done so in the past when we had the pet food scare years ago. I have received vitiams from my vet so that she is getting the necessary requirements. Is tuna or salmon a better fish to use for a homemade diet for dogs. It is a holiday here in Canada for New Years so I am making Daisy a "new" dinner option that uses sweet potatoe, egg. tuna, and peanut butter.

Again, thank you so much for your help! If you could just inform me of suitable homemade diets for dogs with allergies to grains and some protein, I would be grateful!

Happy New Year from Canada!!

Salmon can be used however a homemade diet should not be done by random recipe this needs to be tailored to the specific needs of your dog.

It is always suggested to consult with a veterinary nutritionist when using a homemade diet.

Here is a site you can look at that may help

I am not surprised that you have read negative things about Science Diet, what I ask that you keep in mind is that this is few among the millions of pets that use this diet.It is normally only the people with complaints that post on the web.

There is a misconception that vets make tons of money selling this food. As a previous practice manger and owner I can tell you this is not true. The money we make on this food is minimal and in fact is almost not worth stocking. We sell it because it works.

I would not suggest this food if I had not personally seen the benefits of it in thousands of pets over the years.

Best Wishes