Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

All of the sudden my dog is restless when trying to lie down.

All of the sudden my dog is restless when trying to lie down. He keeps getting up and trying another position. He is not eating or drinking much either.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

Has he had a bowel movement today?

Is he eating or drinking at all?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any abdominal swelling?

Has he had any rawhides, bones, or ingested any non food items?

Has he had any lamb, chicken skin, pork, bacon, or other greasy or fatty foods that you know of?

Has he had difficulty deficating?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Not problem having bowel movements and stool seems fine.

No. Not much at all.

No vomiting or Diarrhea

Not that I can tell.

No.

Yes. I found him eating grease from a smoker that my friend dumped on the ground on Sunday. This started Sunday evening/Monday morning.

No difficulty deficating.

He seems like he can't get comfortable when trying to sleep. Just keeps getting up and turning. He jumped on the bed this morning and it didn't seem to cause him any discomfort.

JaCustomer,

It sounds like he may have a touch of pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself. Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions.

Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycEntry.cfm?ENTRY=23&COLLECTION=EncycIllness&MODE=full

With a touch of pancreatitis, he may not have all the symptoms. Normal treatment would be to withhold food for 12-24 hours initially. Your vet would use an IV and monitor him. If he isn't eating much, you can put a drop of karo or pancake syrup on his tongue to keep him from becoming hypoglycemic. After that offer small portions of bland food such as boiled chicken and rice to see how the dog's system does with that. If your dog does fine, you can slowly reintroduce your dog's regular food into the chicken and rice mixture until it is all regular food. Keep portions very small.

Pancreatitis can be serious and is painful, so we do recommend you have them seen by your vet. If you can get him eating then he should be ok.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Appreciate your help. Looks like it's Diabetes.

JaCustomer,

Wow, from the symptoms you described, there is no way I would have suspected diabetes. Symptoms of diabetes are increased thirst and usually a very good appetie though they lose weight (you indicated the dog was not eating or drinking much), there is also an increase in urination and possible lethargy. You can read about it here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/diabetes-in-dogs/page1.aspx

So you can see why diabetes would not jump to mind with the symptoms you gave. I'm glad you had your dog seen as I suggested. I hope he is now eating and drinking and more comfortable.

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know! The Dr. was surprise his BS was 287 because he hadn't lost weight nor had a voracious appetite. He did start drinking a lot all of the sudden but just in the last two days. The Dr. is hoping that a stomach bug raised his BS but I am not hopeful. He gave him a shot of Reglan and some kind of antibiotic. I am taking him back Friday for another blood test. If it's still high than we will start him on insulin therapy. (I have been Diabetic for 26 year so at least it's something I am familiar with. ) Thank you for your help! I really appreciate your prompt response!