Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog ate 10 (possibly) hydrochlorothiazide. But she does

My dog ate 10 (possibly) hydrochlorothiazide. But she does not seem to be sick.
Hi, thanks for your question. How much does she weigh? How many mg are in each pill? How long ago did this happen?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know how long ago. She weighs about 45 pounds. 25 mg
Thanks for the reply. That would indeed be a serious overdose in a dog of her size - and because Hydrochlorothiazide is a blood-pressure-lowering medicine, dangerously low blood pressure can result, as well as serious dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. These effects can take several hours to appear. The safest option in a case like this, is to have her examined by a veterinarian right away. If the pills are suspected to have been swallowed within the last few hours, then vomiting can be induced. If not, then supportive measures such as intravenous fluids, blood pressure monitoring, and blood testing would be the preferred steps to take.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What side effects should I look for if the dog is getting sick?
Weakness, drowsiness, excess urination and thirst, would be the main symptoms. Be aware, that once symptoms develop, it will be more difficult (more time consuming, and more costly) to reverse them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long does it take for symptoms to appear?
As I mentioned in my previous answer, it can take several hours for symptoms to appear. If nothing abnormal is noted within 12 hours, it is unlikely that any problems will result after that point.