Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

I am fostering a small chi/whippet mix about 8-10 months old

Customer Question

I am fostering a small chi/whippet mix about 8-10 months old that is horribly skinny. She just got out of the county shelter yesterday. I am going to give her worm medicine but is there any way to put some weight on her faster?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. It is important to have a stool sample checked by a veterinarian, because most parasites are microscopic, and most over the counter dewormers will not treat all possible parasites. As for food, any good quality puppy food will be adequate, as it's important not to overfeed a dog who has been undernourished for some time. Patience is important when rehabilitating animals in undernourished condition, as rushing the process is likely to just lead to diarrhea and poor absorption.