Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

can i use dermoplast on my dog

can i use dermoplast on my dog
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me what is wrong with your dog?

Is this some type of injury?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Started licking hind quarters a couple of days ago. area is wet and a little red.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Happy Holidays,

This sounds like your dog is getting a Hot Spot or moist Dermatitis. I suggest trining the harir around the area and cleaning with a good antibactreial soap or a Diluted Betadine and water solution. You can then use some hydrocortisone spray or cream, to stop the itching and help speed healing. If you do not have the cream, you can try some plain Benedryl to help stop the itching. Benedryl can be given at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weigh. You can read about it here: This problem may be a result of an allergy to conatct, food or airborne allergen.

I hope this information helps. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I asked if I can use Deroplast. You did not answer that question.

Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

No to Dermaplast as it is too rough on the tissues and can cause further damage to the area and surrounding tissues.. I did tell you what the problem is and how to treat it. While it is healing you can use an E Collar to keep your dog from licking. If it does not heal with the instructions I have given you, an Antibiotic from the Vet may be needed to aid with the healing. Joan