Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog, a Bichon Frise, has been itching excessively for several

My dog, a Bichon Frise, has been itching excessively for several months. He was treated with topical Revolution in case he had mites. This did nothing. I changed his food to a raw diet with lamb, no grains. Washed all bedding. Antibiotics...all to no avail. What should I try next?

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry your boy is having trouble.

Can you tell me where he itches the most.

Is there any hair loss if so where?

Has allergy testing been done?

What heartworm prevention is he on?

Did your vet test him for mites?

I may have additional questions but this will get us started?

There are several thing that can cause itching and without knowing what tests have been done by your vet I can not tell you what to rule out.

If allergy testing has not been done that would be a good next step.

If the problem is environmental allergies then a medication called atopica may be a great option. This is by far one of the best medications I have seen for controlling itching and hair loss due to allergies.

Read more here

http://www.us.atopica.com/

Omega three fatty acids added to the diet will help in promoting healthy skin. These can be used long term.We recommend Derm Caps.

Here are the Derm caps

http://buydermcaps.com/

Hypothyroidism and Cushings Disease can also cause itchy skin.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1597&aid=449

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

The most commonly areas of the body effected by a food allergy are the ears the feet and the rear If this is due to food allergies this will continue to be a problem until you find a food he can eat.

Dogs can develop food allergies at any times even if they have been on the same food for a long period of time While most people think that food allergies are due to grains such as corn, wheat, bran as well as soy that is in fact not the whole truth. The biggest problem is the PROTEIN source. This includes chicken, lamb and beef.

The following article discusses how to do a food trial in-depth this is the same instructions we give our clients. It is recommended to try a different protein source such as duck, rabbit, kangaroo or Bison and grain free We often see dogs do well on a different protein only to develop an allergy to this as well later down the road. Purina HA or Science diet ZD are top of the line allergen diets. These foods have had the molecules broken down to the point that the body can not identify what they are getting thereby eliminating all chance of an allergic reaction

Read more here

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1587&aid=143

When trying a food trail it is very important that they get no other foods, treats or human foods as this will void out the food trial. This can take 6-8 weeks to show improvement so you must stick with it. Should you opt to try the trial and your baby is a treat eater here is a recipe you can make using his food as to not jeopardize the trial. These recipes are for science diet foods however any food can be used.

Using canned food:

Open the can and shake the loaf of food out of the can.

Cut the loaf into 1/4" thick slices, and then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.

Bake the treats in a microwave oven on high for approximately 2½ to 3 minutes.

Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.

Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.

Do not freeze homemade treats.

For a conventional oven, follow the instructions above and place the bite-sized pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Using Dry Food:

In a blender, add 2 cups of dry food and grind into a powder.

Pour powder into a mixing bowl and gradually add about 1 to 1¼ cups of water, stirring until it forms a dough consistency.

Shape into individual "treats" or "cookies" and flatten the dough using the back of a spoon (the cookies will not flatten like standard "people cookies" do.)

Place treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Do not freeze homemade treats.

Over the counter Benadryl may be helpful in controlling the itching This is normally dosed at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8-10 hours

I hope he finds some relief soon Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Candy