Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

What is Wells syndrome Can it be treated How long does

What is Well's syndrome? Can it be treated? How long does it last? What causes it?

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I am sorry your girl is sick?

I just want to clarify are you sure it is spelled Wells, could it be Weils Syndrome(Disease)?

Can you tell me what is going on with her?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It could be weils. The doctor gave us a very technical print out and it was spelled Well's Syndrome. Kaitlin's skin is very very red. She started with not eating, lsome vomiting,lethary. At the Emergency vet, she was put on antibiotics and fluids. They ruled out pancreatitis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just remembered. The doctor thought that the skin around her neck, which was very red, was somewhat thickened.

There are several things that can cause thickened skin in dogs the best thing would be to have a biopsy done of the skin and sent out to a lab for proper diagnosis.

Ok, Wells is correct this is also called eosinophilic cellulitis'and it is diagnosed very rarely in dogs. It is believed to be caused by a severe allergic reaction to something, however there have been links to viral infections.Parasites and immune disorders can also cause this problem

In some cases the dog recovers with no treatment while other require several days of steroids to reduce inflammation and control the reaction.

Here is additional information PA361&dq=eosinophilic+cellulitis%E2%80%99+in+dogs&source=bl&ots=Gbfwwczy_e&sig=Vu8ceninczsZq13Wt9NPQ_IZja4&hl=en&ei=O4j-TOjKE8H68AaVyNWqBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=eosinophilic%20cellulitis%E2%80%99%20in%20dogs&f=false

In humans the canine roundworm has been linked to some cases of Wells Syndrome.

Skin biopsies should be done and sent out for proper diagnosis.

I hope this has helped provide some additional information on what may be going on the possible causes.