Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I think My dog has a tick embedded in her skin What do I

Customer Question

I think My dog has a tick embedded in her skin
What do I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just answer. Do you have a pair of tweezers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.

Okay , take the tweezers adn place them as close to the ticks head as possible and wiggle back and forth pulling the tick out. The head may or may not come out. Flush the tick down the toilet. IF the head did not come out the dog's body will recognize it as a foreign body and build up a sight infection near the sight and expel the head that way.

If you see any difference in the dog with walking then see your vet. You can wash the area with antibacterial soap and put a triple antibiotic ointment on the area but most times this is not necessary , but some feel better doing that.

If you have found this answer helpful please press accept so I may be compensated for my time.

Edited by Sally Grott on 12/4/2010 at 11:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The tick in deep in the skin and is not clearly visible so I can't just grab the head=there is a bump with a definite entry point.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
generally only the head gets imbedded. If it is a tick you should be able to lift the tick's body (back half) up from the dog, it should not be totally under the skin. If it is then you may have something else going on that requires vet care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just got an answer on answers.com where they say they found a dead tick embedded in the skin so I guess I got my answer from them.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
would you mind sending me the link?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just give me your email
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
I am not allowed to give out my email. Everything has to go through this site. It is the only way I get paid for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Answers.com Question: Can a tick get under the skin on your dog? Very helpful response. Also called a friend who confirmed this.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. You asked how to take an embedded tick of , most ticks get the head embedded but not the body as the body expands with blood. I am glad you were able to find what you were looking for. Have a great Holiday:)

Edited by Sally Grott on 12/5/2010 at 2:38 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wish you a wonderful holiday as well!