Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My miniature pinscher sometimes has an upset stomach, so it

My miniature pinscher sometimes has an upset stomach, so it wasn't unusual when he was throwing up Wednesday night. Unfortunately, it lasted all night and Thursday morning he was drinking large amounts of water but couldn't keep any of it down. When he threw up Thursday night, a long piece of yarn was coming out of his mouth and I had to pull it to help him. There was about three feet of yarn that came out but broke off as I was pulling it. He seemed lethargic but slept peacefully last night with no more vomiting. He ate a few tablespoons of mashed potatoes today and most of his supper. He hasn't passed any stool yet, but he is more lively and is not vomiting anymore. What should I do if he starts passing yarn? Someone told me not to try to pull it as it could cause damage in the intestines.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Happy Holidays,

With what you have described, you will need to get your boy into the Vet as soon as reasonably possible. The Yarn can wrap around the intestines cutting off the blood supply causing the intestines to die due to lack of blood supply. This is very dangerous and can cause a serious blockage. If the yar dos start to pass do not pull it. The fact that there has been no stool passed and he had vomited yarn is a very big warning. Please have him into the Vet for an X ray and hands on exam. Joan

Edited by Joan on 11/27/2010 at 2:00 AM EST