Dr. Tammy
Dr. Tammy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years practicing Veterinarian, 10 years Army Reserve Veterinarian, Veterinary Chiropractitioner

Can I give my dog a cold sore

Can I give my dog a cold sore?
Human cold sores are caused by a herpes virus, which is species specific. There are herpes viruses that occur in other species, most notably cats, but you can not give a human cold sore to your dog (or cat).

Dr. Tammy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Even if I kissed her on top of her nose towards her mouth? That's where I typically kiss her, and I didn't think about it before doing it this evening; which is causing me concern that I just passed her my cold sore.
No, the virus is species specific, so since she's a dog and you are a human (different species) you could rub your sore all over her and she still wouldn't get it.