How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joan Your Own Question
Joan, Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17304
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Joan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been with Just Answer since March 2006. It's my pleasure to work with you today!


What did your dog eat that needs the Charcoal?


Any symptoms yet?


How long ago was the toxin ingested?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Entire box of chocolate little debbie brownies. no symtoms. ingested somewhere between 8:30am - 1:30pm
Expert:  Walter replied 5 years ago.



Grab a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and give your girl two tablespoons right now. You may need to give an additional half-teaspoon. Because your boy will most likely not take the hydrogen peroxide willingly, administer it via a medicine dropper, or baby dropper. Gently open his mouth and squeeze the dropper to shoot the hydrogen peroxide down his throat. Once its down, gently shake the stomach and if he has not vomited it up in 10 minutes give him two more table spoons. This should bring it up.


Give your boy a dose of activated charcoal. The dosage will vary by the dog's weight and will be the same per pound as for a human. Again, the dog will not willingly take the activated charcoal. The dosage is one 5g compressed tablet for 10 lbs. of weight.


Encourage your boy to drink a lot of water a few hours after the activated charcoal treatment (but not before). This will help its system flush out the chocolate, while also hydrating the dog after vomiting.


It's best to give your vet a call even if it comes up as they may want to bring her in regardless.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Walter.

Unfortunately I knew all of that. But I do not have compressed tabs. I have 260mg capsules... That is all the drug store had. Do you know what my dose will be?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what other info do you need?

he is a brit, 10 years and 48 lbs.

Expert:  Walter replied 5 years ago.



I would not advise trying to split these capsules. The biggest problem is we do not know what time he ate the brownies. If he ate them at 1:30 then this could be the beginning of the problem, if he ate them at 8am then it's not likely that this is going to be a problem.


The amount he ate is concerning because of the chocolate, but at his weight and the amount of chocolate in these brownies we would not be overly concerned. Since you had the charcoal on hand it would not have hurt to go ahead and give it to him, but since it's not compressed and its the capsules it would be better to simply not give it to him rather then give the wrong amount and make him ill.


At this point I would suggest giving his vet a call and keeping an eye on the situation. If he is not getting sick, and is showing no symptoms then giving the charcoal is not going to be helpful anyway.



Edited by Walter on 11/18/2010 at 8:27 PM EST
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.


I tend to disagree with my collegue, do not induce vomiting. The amount of Cocoa in the brownies is minimal, but since the time is over two hours since ingestion, to be on the safe side, please open one capsule and mix with 2 ounces of water and give via syringe. This should cover the situation and bind any toxins. I hope this helps. Joan

Edited by Joan on 11/18/2010 at 8:31 PM EST