Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

My golden retriever back hind leg is really swollen and he

My golden retriever back hind leg is really swollen and he has some bruising on his belly and on his backside. he is acting fine..limping a little but it doesnt seem to be bothering him. We have taken him to the vet and they did tests that will will hear back soon. they seem to be convinced it is cancer. Any chance it is not?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

With leg swelling and bruising present, cancer certainly is a possibility, but a few other things can also cause this, such as a bleeding disorder (low platelet count, or platelets that are not functioning properly - bone marrow disorder, trauma, auto-immune disease), ingestion of rodent poison (which also causes a different type of bleeding disorder), swollen lymph nodes (many reasons), vasculitis ("leaky" blood vessels that occur from inflamation in that part of the body), possibly a liver problem. So, hopefully the lab work will provide an answer for you. If blood clot time tests have not been run (PT, PTT, mucosal bleeding time), I would highly recommend that also. Sometimes tissue biopsies are also needed to get a diagnosis.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Dave