Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My dog seems to be dizzy -- acts almost drunk. And she wants

My dog seems to be dizzy -- acts almost drunk. And she wants to drink water all the time but then projectile vomits it almost immediately. The vomit is clear with white thick foamy parts. Lethargic. Won't eat. Seems to have lost weight. Any suggestions?

Are her eyes darting back and forth?
Any chance she ingested antifreeze or a toxin?
How long is she dizzy?

What and when did she eat last?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No eyes not darting. Seems fairly alert. Eyes a little glazed over though like in pain. No antifreeze. Did have carpets steam cleaned yesterday but I don't think she was in the rooms done enough to bother her. It never has before. Been dizzy since yesterday.

She had one small piece of grilled steak yesterday and a couple tiny pieces of cooked chicken breast (maybe 4 tiny pieces). She is only 10 pounds. Hasn't eaten any of her dog food for a few days.

Dear friend

I am sorry your baby is not feeling well.

dizziness and nausea in a dog her age may be due to diabetes or ingesting a toxin

She could have an ear infection causing vestibular symptoms

Read more on vestibular here

For vomiting withhold food for two hours. Then give a quarter of a pepsid:

I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, chop meat , or baby food (with no onion), beef, turkey, etc add cooked white rice or infant rice cereal.

Go very slow so she does not throw it up.

Dogs get dehydrated and hypoglycemic very easily from vomiting

Add unflavored pedialyte to her water 50/50 to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to raise her blood sugar in case she is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk her up.

Do not allow her to drink a lot at a time if she throws up water, she can lick ice
Also give her one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in her system.

If she develops any abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down she needs to be seen by a vet.

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for you

I hope your baby feels better very soon..

Best wishes for her,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ah, maybe it is her ear. She has had a bad ear infection for a couple months. Have had it flushed by vet a couple times and I have been flushing it once or twice a week. Perhaps that's it. What can be done to help that? Do I need a vet visit?

Lets try some dramamine and see if it relieves her symptoms

Dosage here:

Let me know how she responds.

Best wishes for her,