Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dog is walking stiffly, hunched over and shaking. He was

My dog is walking stiffly, hunched over and shaking. He was fine yesterday until the late afternoon.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this problem, but I need to collect some information to be able to assist you.

What breed is your dog?

Is he stiff in the back end?

Can he walk up stairs or jump?

Was he exercising before this happened?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is stiff at the back end...he can walk and appears to be able to jump down but not up onto anything. He was outside in the yard and when he came in he was panting heavily and stiff
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me what breed your boy is? Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about that. He is a chihuahua.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is basically hiding in corners
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

The panting and stiffness is definately a sign of pain. I suspect that while he was out side he may have injured his back running around. What I suggest for tonight is heat on his back. You can make a rice sock, by placing uncooked rice in a sock, tie it off, and heat in the Microwave for 2 mins. Wrap it in a mosit towel and apply to your boy's back. This should offer some relief. Please keep him subdued or rested in a crate. There is nothing that is really safe to give him for pain that is over the counter. The rest and heat should help until you can get him into the Vet in the AM.Chihushuas have a few issue with their knees, but this sounds like a back issue. If he seems to get worse tonight and the pain gets more severe, then you may wat to consider an ER Vet visit. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I figured he had injured himself. He got better when laying under my down comforter from the heat but stiffened up again once away from that heat. Thank you!
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

The moist heat should help, but he needs to be kept as quiet as possible. Your Vet can give a shot and proper medication to help him in the AM. The heat tonight and rest, rest and more rest will allow him to take the pressure off his spine and legs. Please let me know if you need more help. Joan