Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 15 year old Jack Russel eyes are twitching side to side

<p>My 15 year old Jack Russel eyes are twitching side to side and her walking is unbalanced. i found her like this last night and she trys to walk but after a few minutes she will go back to her bed. I have seen her drink and she ate her breakfast this morning, she urinated this moring beside the dogflap but maybe due to fact she is unbalanced she couldnt get through the dogflap. She was walking/running pefectly fine yesterday . please help Adam</p><p> She was aslo sick when i woke up this morning, it was abeige colour sick.</p>
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Hello Adam and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I believe what you are seeing is a condition called Old dog vestibular disease.

The vestibular system is responsible for keeping the head and body in the correct position and tells the brain if we are standing, sitting, lying down, falling, spinning in circles, and keeps the body balanced.

The most common cause of this is a problem in the inner ear, however in an older dog often the actual cause is not known.This comes on so suddenly that often owners think their dog has suffered a stroke.

In most cases this will resolve on its own but can take as long as two weeks. Often dogs are hospitalized only for supportive care as the dizziness often causes vomiting and lack of eating and drinking.

Here is more in depth information on this condition

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/vestibular-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I would suggest having her seen by your vet to see if a cause can be found and if treatment is needed.

Until you can have her seen medication used to treat human motion sickness is often helpful, Dramamine is the recommended over the counter medication.

Here is information on the use of this medication

http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

I hope this has been helpful and she recovers soon, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy

Edited by Candy on 11/2/2010 at 11:19 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Just checked up on her and her eyes have stopped twitching and her balance has improved but still a little bit woberly, she is also drinking normally but weed next to the door again.

I have brought the medication you suggested but Shall i still take her to the vets or just see tomorow morning if she improves more.

Thanks

Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.
You can give her a day and see how she does if she starts vomiting, or gets to the point where she can not move or eat and drink you will want to have her seen by the vet