Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice

Im wondering if its ok to give our dog Tramadol in conjunction

I'm wondering if it's ok to give our dog Tramadol in conjunction with Cerenia, Famotidine and Prednisone?

He's been diagnosed with Lymphoma and we've been on prednisone and famotidine for a few weeks now-the prednisone is dosing back to the weaning stage. However the appetite is low, and no matter what he is offered he turns his nose up at except some silly dog treat called a "snausage"

I asked our vet to put him back on the anti nausea med cerenia after a vomiting bout a couple of days ago, and after having him vomit about 30 minutes this morning after giving him a lower dose of prednisone. I'm not sure if he's got some pain going on that's not apparent at this point so I thought I might try the tramadol as a last ditch effort to squelch pain we aren't aware of to try to get him to eat. I'm out of ideas...any help would be appreciated.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

About how much does your dog weigh?

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
probably no more than 60 to 70 pounds

his appetite has not been great, but adequate he's been eating about 1 pound of ground beef per day up until a couple of days ago

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes, it's safe to give Tramadol in addition to the Cerenia, Famotidine and Prednisone. It can help if there is any pain, and you may also notice that it might make him a little tired (it does in some dogs). If he is painful, the Tramadol may help alleviate that pain, and may help to improve his appetite.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so should we start him out on a full's 50 mg,s he's on 20 mg's of famotidine, 60 mg's of cerenia, and the prednisone weaning dose is 30 mg's every 48 hours

thank you for your reply...I like having the option of "talking" to a vet when it's after hours.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 5 years ago.

Glad to be here to help out!

The dosing range for Tramadol is usually 2-5mg/kg every 8 hours, so if your dog is about 60 pounds (about 30 kg), you can start near the lower end (1&1/2 pills, which is 75mg) by mouth every 8 hours, but you can go as high as 3 pills by mouth every 8 hours if you need to.

Let me know if I can help further.

Dr. Dave