Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

how long is normal for a dog to bleed after giving birth My

how long is normal for a dog to bleed after giving birth? My dog gave birth 9 days ago and she still has a bloody discharge, only now it's kind of mucus-y, is that normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.

Hi Customer,

Dogs will bleed for approximately 3 weeks or so. Initially there will be bright red, black or green discharge. During the three weeks or so it should start getting lighter and gradually fade to a pale pink or tan until it disappears completely. If you don't notice this change happening in the next couple of weeks, you'll want to have her seen in case she retained a placenta. Signs to watch for after a delivery are: intense abdominal pain, pale gums and tongue, sudden drop in temperature or collapse and a Green, smelly discharge from her vulva, fever, loss of appetite and lethargy. Any of these symptoms should trigger an emergency trip to the vet. Look for breast infections on a regular basis. If a breast becomes inflamed, red and hard to the touch, your dog will need to be seen by your vet.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Edited by Jane Lefler on 11/1/2010 at 9:28 PM EST