Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Hi! My 14 year old female maltese is drinking and urinating

Hi!
My 14 year old female maltese is drinking and urinating excessively. She is otherwise eating fine. I wouldn't say she is particularly lethargic, because for the last year or so she has slowed down significantly and spends most of the day napping. Im noticing that she is drinking mostly in the evening and will wake me up either to get more water or to be taken out. She also is urinating in the house in the middle of the floor, which she has never done before. My other 13 year old maltese passed 2 years ago from kidney failure and we incurred thousands in vet bills hospitalizing him and it was really torture for him. I don't want to do this with my female. So I'm a bit apprehensive to go to my vet only to wind up in a hopeless and expensive cycle of treatments. However, I'm happy to go if this can be a treatable condition. What can you advise me?

Does she drink all through the day?

Any blood in the urine?

Does she seem to have urgency when urinating?

Does she go continously and only small amounts come out?

How long has this been happening?

Has she had any weight loss?

Joan

Edited by Joan on 11/1/2010 at 5:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Joan,

Here is what I can tell you

Does she drink all through the day? She drinks during the day, but more normally. I notice the excessive drinking more in the evening. We stop the dry food around 5 pm to try to eliminate that as the cause of the excessive drinking. Lately, she will wake us up and want to get down off the bed in the middle of the night. She goes directly to the waterbowl to drink (will lap 30-40 times). We let her outside to urinate too at this time.

Any blood in the urine? No, the urine is very clear like water. She will urinate for maybe 10-15 seconds and makes a huge puddle.

Does she seem to have urgency when urinating? No, no urgency. When we let her out, she will take her time to sniff and browse around to find the right space. Then squat for 10 seconds.

Does she go continously and only small amounts come out? No, she seems to act pretty normal during the day, napping and drinking a little bit, going outside etc. During the evening at at nightis when the drinking occurs and she'll go 3-4 times with large amounts coming out.

How long has this been happening? I would estimate about 2 months.

Has she had any weight loss? No, in fact, she looks like she's been gaining weight. There is no loss of appetite

I am so sorry that your girl is going through this. I cannot tell you this is not a Kidney issue, but I can give you some other possibilities that could be going on. First thing that comes to mind is Hyporthyroid which can account for the drinking and the weight gain. Next Diabetes is also an option, since she is drinking excessively and heavy urination, but we normally see weight loss. The last thought could be Cushings Disease, which could account for the weight gain, excessive thirst and urination. At this point being a senior girl, it would be wise to have a Senior dog blood panel, which will include Kidney, liver, thyroid and for diabetes.Then I would have her tested for Cushings which is a separate blood test. All these are treatable, but if left untreated can blow up into something more. I understand your fear since you went through a bad time with your other dog, but we want to prevent any serious issues. Joan

Cushings Disease: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2097&aid=416

Hypothyroid: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hypothyroidism.html

Edited by Joan on 11/1/2010 at 7:22 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks very much Joan, I'm calling to make an appt today. I really appreciate your additional questions and thoughtful responses. Hope you will be on the other end of the line the next time I have a question! Best regards, XXXXX

I would love to hear the results when you get them. As I said, I cannot guarantee what this is, but the tests that I suggested will help guide you on what needs to be done to make your girl comfortable and help keep her happy. Please do not forget to accept the answer, if it has been helpful and positive feedback would be welcomed. I have been here on the site for 3 years, heading into my fourth year, so you can always ask for me by name. Hope all turns out well! Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Joan,

I would love to leave some fabulous feedback on my experience, but cannot figure out how!! can you direct me to a link where I can sing your praises? best, Tina

You should be able to add feedback after I post this, or you can write to Justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx and leave feedback with my superiors. Thank-you so much! I look forward to hearing how your girl is doing. Joan