Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

can my dog get hives/allergic reaction to fish oil capsules

Customer Question

can my dog get hives/allergic reaction to fish oil capsules? we have a highly allergic dog who is allergic to pretty much anything but lately she has been getting treated for a staph infection and her skin has been dry and flaky so I try and give her a fish oil pill given to us by our vet and everytime i give it to her she seems to break out in hives for about a week. is this possible?

thanks
adam
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

Short answer here : Yes this is possible, individual dogs can be allergic to just about anything you care to mention. This is particularly likely with dogs which have a track record of allergies anyway. The best thing to do here is to stop the fish oils and see what happens.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS