Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Our 5 year old dachshund is dragging her hind legs. She began

Our 5 year old dachshund is dragging her hind legs. She began to show hesitancy going up stairs about 6 months ago but tonight is the first time she couldn't move without dragging her hind legs. We got a recommendation to do surgery at a cost of 6,000 in long beach, ca. No MRI or myelogram was performed, only a visual inspection. Does anyone have any advice?
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

I'm sorry Bean is experiencing this problem.

Were any blood tests done when she was evaluated, in addition to a visual inspection?

Was a diagnosis given, when the surgery was suggested?

What is the name of the surgery that was recommended?

Is Bean eating, drinking and eliminating as usual today?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No blood sample taken. The surgery was recommended but they also said we could try anti inflammatory medicine. She took a treat but didn't do her normal potty outside. She seems to be leaking a bit. The diagnosis is thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease. But this was based only on visual exam.

The surgery was recommended soon but it is so expensive we need to figure it out. The surgery is called hemilaminectomy.
Hi again, and thanks very much for your reply with additional information.

I need to deal with an emergency right now, so I will leave your question available for other experts to answer.

I hope all will be well with Bean!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks
Hello my name isXXXXX am a qualified and experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and Cher has asked me to talk this case over with you. While I cannot diagnose your dog's condition via the internet I can tell you the following :

1. From what you have said so far it is almost certain that you are dealing with intervertebral disc disease which is very common in your breed but be aware that other diagnosis are possible such as cancer of the spinal cord for example or other neurological conditions.

2. Treatment of intervertebral disc disease falls down two paths, one being surgery the other being conservative treatment such as complete cage rest for a few weeks plus anti-inflammatory drugs.

3. Before embarking on any treatment it would be prudent for the vet concerned to gage the extent of the problem and the likely outlook for success either by an X-ray { myelogram } or MRI session. The vet can then sit down and discuss the options with the owner and plan any surgery if this is the way to go.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great. We are doing that in the morning. We will start with an MRI or myelogram and go from there......
Thanks for the recommendation.

No problem, very glad to advise you.

Good luck with Bean,

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }