Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog swallowed a small amount of wood stain. Will he be

Customer Question

My dog swallowed a small amount of wood stain. Will he be ok?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question,

1. The safest thing to do here is to induce vomiting at once, for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best LINK.

2. The reason I am saying this is that some wood stains contain ethylene glycol which can be very toxic to dogs even in small amounts. you can confirm this HERE.

3. If you fail to induce vomiting within the next half hour you should contact an ER vet without delay.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried to get him to drink some from his bowl. He only drank a very minimal amount! What now, he is not puking yet!!!
Hello again,

1. If you are trying to induce vomiting by following the directions on the link I supplied then you will have to physically put the peroxide into your dog's mouth and ensure he swallows it, use a small syringe or similar if available or a tablespoon if not. A dog will never swallow this stuff on their own.

2. As there is a chance that wood stain contains ethylene glycol and this is very toxic to dogs if you do not swiftly induce vomiting then you should call an ER vet without delay as they will be able to do this very easily.

Good luck,