Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

At what age will my German Shorthair Pointer come into heat,

At what age will my German Shorthair Pointer come into heat, how long will it last, should Ii wait to breed here?

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been with Just Answer since March 2006. Its my pleasure to work with you today!

Your German Short hair Pointer will come into heat around 6-12 months of age. Generally this breed averages around 8 months of age but it can be anywhere as early as 6 months to as late as 12 months.

The heat will last around 21 days and she IS fertile at this time, but she should NEVER be mated before she is 2 years of age. Young dogs are not ready emotionally or physically to give birth because they have not finished growing yet, allowing a young dog to give birth is akin to allowing a 13 year old girl to give birth..........they simply are NOT ready yet!

Young dogs make for bad mothers and often kill or abandon the litter from fear and exhaustion. She will be physically and mentally ready when she is 2 years old. Make sure before breeding any dog that you have her fully examined by your vet to check for any defects and to ensure she is healthy enough to carry a litter to full term. There are a lot of problems that can go wrong in the whelping aspect and the last thing we want is for her to become hurt, so having these tests run are very important for her health and the well being of her puppies.

I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX have any additional questions or need clarification on any of the above please use the reply button. If your satisfied with my answer please do not forget to click the accept button and leave feedback about your experience with me.

Edited by Walter on 10/19/2010 at 11:31 PM EST