Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

How do I remove Tar from my dogs fur. She accidentally sat

How do I remove Tar from my dog's fur. She accidentally sat in it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

The easiest way suggested to remove the tar is to cut as much hair away that has the tar on it. If it warms up the tar will spread, so we need to get as much off as possible. Once that is done, you will need to take a couple of table spoons of Crisco shortening and mix a few drops of lemon juice in it. Where ever there is tar left, you will need to massage it carefully into the hair. The lemon juice will keep the dog from licking it. In the morning take an old towel and gently wipe the remaining tar from the dog's fur. Chemicals are a no no since they can be toxic to the dog either if licked or absorbed through the skin. This is the safest way to remove the tar. After the tar is removed bathe the dog in Blue Dawn Dish Soap to remove the remaining Crisco. Joan

Edited by Joan on 10/14/2010 at 12:58 PM EST