Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog is sounding like a seal tonight. I work in doing home

My dog is sounding like a seal tonight. I work in doing home renovations and the dog is on site. Lots of saw dust today and she did try to shred some fiber glass insulation. ( Don't think she at it)

Any thoughts
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.

I'm typing your response now.

Hi Sir or Madam,

I'm going to go over causes of coughs since a seal like or hair ball or goose like sound is a cough we associate with kennel cough. So I'm going to go over coughs in general and then address YOUR dog specifically.

Dogs can develop upper respiratory illnesses such as kennel cough and canine influenza as well as bronchitis and inhaled allergies. You can read about bronchitis here:

It's possible that sneezing and nasal congestion can be due to an allergic reaction to an inhaled substance. If this is the case, Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours.

You can read about these here. l

Kennel cough is normally contracted when a dog has been boarded or kenneled or around a large number of dogs such as at a dog show, dog park or pet store. Here is a website with more information on kennel cough.

Canine influenza is now becoming more prevalent and like it sounds it is a canine flu. Here is an excellent site on it.

You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and my require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet as some dogs dog get really sick with canine influenza and need support to recover.

To help your dog breathe easier you can run a NON-medicated humidifier in the room your dog is in, or sit in a steamed up bathroom with your dog to help keep the mucous moving. Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the cough. Dosages can be obtained at this website.

If your dog has not had all its vaccinations I urge you to have your dog seen as soon as possible.

There are other reasons for coughs such as heart problems which should be investigated if your dog is not on heartworm preventative or is an older dog. The following site goes over canine coughs.

Your dog could be doing what is called a reverse sneeze or a collapsing trachea. Here is a site on reverse sneezes and one on collapsing tracheas.

Now your dog might also have ingested some insulation damaging the trachea or inhaled saw dust into the lungs leading to coughing. Since there is the possibility that insulation may have been ingested, I would feed some canned pumpkin to help pick up shards of insulation and help cushion it as it moves through the system. Insulation can cause damage, so I would have your dog seen if you think insulation was ingested. If you don't think it was, I'd still use the pumpkin (not pie filler) and monitor your dog for a loss of appetite, any blood in the stool or vomiting and diarrhea, etc. If any additional symptoms are present have your dog seen immediately. If it was my dog, I'd go ahead and have her seen as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.