How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Scarlett Your Own Question
Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4110
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Scarlett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

a dog ate rat poison about a week ago what can be done

Resolved Question:

a dog ate rat poison about a week ago what can be done
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 6 years ago.
Can I get more information? Do you know what the active ingredient in the rat poison is?
Do you see any bruising anywhere on your dog (skin of the stomach, gums, whites of the eyes, etc)? Any blood in the urine or stool?

I don't understand your not about "I think it isn't my dog i just was given it now." Can you elaborate?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes It isn't my dog I was just shown the animal and feel sorry for it. It is throwing up blood. All I know is it was on a farm and ate some farmpoison that is all they said. Help if you can I will pay if there is any help to be had.


Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 6 years ago.
The deal with rat poison is that it causes a depletion in Vit K, leading to the body being able to make clotting factors in the liver and the animal who eats it will "bleed out." It is imperative that this dog be seen by a vet and get started on Vit K injections. There are other causes of vomiting blood, especially in a farm dog who could have eaten anything, so you will need to see a vet in person. They will run a complete blood count and probably clotting profile to see if the dog's blood is able to clot or not. If the bloodwork seems normal, then they will do x-rays or other tests to try and determine why she is vomiting.

You are very sweet to try and help this little girl. But I'm afraid you can't do anything on your own at home.

Here is more info you might find helpful:
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any hope. I have a vet coming. It has been a week they thought. It is still up and walking around.
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 6 years ago.
I think that the prognosis is guarded, but if the dog is still eating and moving around and there isn't a lot of bruising, things could turn around. Getting the Vit K started is the most important thing and treating for an appropriate amount of time. It is too bad you don't know what type of poison she ate.
Dr. Scarlett and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions