Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Two of our three dogs have a small white spot on the cornea

Two of our three dogs have a small white spot on the cornea of their right eye. The spot appears to be in the exact same location (center of their eye)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is there any increase in redness around the white part of the eyes? Any pain associated with the eyes (i.e.; pawing or rubbing eyes, squinting eyes)? Any discharge from the eyes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no redness or pain. Both are acting and eating normally. Their vision appears to be normal as well.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information. The white areas on the cornea are usually caused by corneal ulcerations, disruption to the corneal lining and calcium or lipid precipitates on the cornea. Corneal ulcerations are usually caused by trauma and are painful with discharge coming from the eyes; although some can caused by an inherent problem with the corneal lining. The white part is usually edema in the cornea. Now, there are some dogs that have an inherent corneal lining problem that causes edema but no ulcerations. If the areas are small and pinpoint white areas, it most likely is a problem with calcium or lipids deposits on the eyes. Sometimes that can be due to a inherent metabolic problem. Deposits and non-ulcerative lesions usually don't cause many problems with vision, though. To be on the safe side, I would have your vet take a look at the eyes to confirm this. It is difficult to say one way or another without doing a good physical exam. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is a very recent condition for these two dogs. Do you have any thoughts on both dogs having the condition in the same spot on the same eye? One is a 16 year old male Min-Pin and the other is a 3 year old female XXXXX XXXXX. Our third dog (a 7 year old female XXXXX XXXXX) is showing no signs of this condition.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
There really aren't any infectious diseases I can think of that could cause this lesion in 2 dogs, but that is always possible. They may have both been exposed to some chemical that irritated the cornea. To be honest, though, a more likely scenario is that they both just happen to have a corneal endothelial or corneal deposit issue. Hope this helps.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience