Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog is forming some nasty looking scabs around his mouth.

My dog is forming some nasty looking scabs around his mouth. What could it be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I am sorry your little one is having trouble

How long have the sore been there

are there any blisters or just scabs

is there hair loss if so is there hair loss anywhere else

How old is he/what breed

is he itching or rubbing the face

Are there any sores on the inside of the mouth

What type of food and water bowels does he have

Edited by Candy on 10/5/2010 at 2:07 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is a 10 month old German Short Haired Pointer. The scabs have been there or about a week now. The hair around the scabs is gone, and there is a spot forming near his eye as well. Eats dry dog chow, and plastic water bowls, but sometimes grabs a drink from the pond in back of my house. No sores on the inside. doesnt seem to rub or itch at them either.
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

There could be a few things going on

A common allergy in dogs is plastic. Often when using plastic food and water bowel we see sores or hair loss around the mouth and on the chin.

While this could be due to the plastic bowls I am concerned about the hair loss above the eye as this would not fit if the bowels were the problem.

Considering the hair loss above the eye I am suspicious that this may be demodex which is a none contagious form of mange.

This is a common problem in young dogs and presents exactly as you have described.

In cases of localized lesions where there are less then 5 small areas effected this may be able to be treated with topical medication. New studies have shown that in some cases these may clear on their on. We used to treat all demodex very aggressively however, that has changed in the last few years.

Demodex can progress in some cases and effect the whole body so I would suggest having him seen by your vet they will do a scraping of the skin to view under the microscope to look for mites. Your vet will then be better able to advise whether treatment is needed.

Here is additional information on demodex

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2101&aid=729

I hope this has been helpful,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy