Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My four year old Japanese Chin had a seizure Sunday evening.

My four year old male Japanese Chin had a seizure Sunday evening. I heard him scrabbling on the kitchen floor. He couldn't get his left leg to work, he kept biting on his left foot and then his head would jerk to the left and his eyes were wide open and staring. The seizure stopped and he was trembling when I picked him up. A few minutes later he was lively again, but I noticed that he hardly woke up when I put him in his crate for the night. Could you give me an idea what may have happened? He had all his vaccinations in July and he really reacted to them for about three days.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I am sorry your baby is having trouble

How is he doing today

Any chance he got into something toxic or any human medications

is he on any medications

what was he doing before this happened

I may have additional questions depending on your response

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He isn't on any medications. I got up about 2pm to check on him and he was lively; he eat well this morning, but he got on the couch and went back to sleep. He went on an hour walk(he was on a leash) from 530pm to 630pm Sunday evening and than I took him for a ride to the store at 7pm and on the way home he seemed to go into a very deep sleep(almost like he was unconsicous) for a few minutes and it startled me. He went outside for a few minutes when we got home. The seizure happened shortly after I let him back in. I don't believe he got into any human medications and I don't use pesticides in the backyard; I have an "organic" garden. We had rain all day Sunday, so he only went out for a very short time.

Thank you for the additional information

Seizures can be caused by many different things.

Problems with the liver or kidneys, Diabetes, Hypothyroid, or toxic ingestion, Epilepsy or may in some cases be idiopathic(meaning having no known cause).

Unfortunately Epilepsy is a common health concern in this breed and this can develop between the ages of 6 months and 5 years most commonly seen between the ages of 2 and 4.

The sleepiness you saw before the actual seizure may have been what we call the pre-seizure stage.

It is also common to see some lethargy or extended sleeping after the seizure. Most dogs recover in a few hours however some dogs can take as long as 24 hours to fully recover.

Here is additional information on seizures and Epilepsy

It would be best to have him seen by your vet, they will want to do blood work to check for underlining health conditions. If all blood work is normal your vet may simply advice monitoring him. Often no treatment is recommended unless another seizure occurs and they become more frequent.

Treatment for seizure can include phenobarbital and in some cases potassium bromide is used in conjunction with the phenobarbital.

I hope this has been helpful,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns