Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my dog just ate part of a tulip bulb, what should I now I

my dog just ate part of a tulip bulb, what should I now? I know they are toxic. She is a 3 pound puppy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. I want you to give her 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally. This will induce her to vomit. I may take 10 minutes for vomiting to occur. I will be right back with you.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello again. Has your pup vomited yet? If not, repeat the dosage of peroxide (if it was over 10 minutes ago). Tulips are toxic, but they usually just cause severe gastrointestinal irritation (vomiting, diarrhea, increase salivation) and depression. The bulbs are the most toxic part. If you can get her to vomit it up, that should help. She shouldn't vomit or more than 10-15 minutes from the peroxide. The body tries to get it out of the stomach as soon as possible. If the vomiting continues beyond that time, she develops diarrhea, has abdominal pain,stops eating and drinking or starts salivating excessively; I would have her seen by your nearest open or emergency vet immediately. Puppies this small have a hard time compensating for dehydration and low blood sugar and can get sick very fast. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.