Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Medicine, Veterinarian since 2000

my dog has a sour stomach she seems to have acid reflex,sometimes

my dog has a sour stomach she seems to have acid reflex,sometimes trowing up a clear bubble fluid,accompanied with bad breath
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Devlin and I am happy to assist you.

How old is your dog, and how long has she been vomiting? Is this a new problem?

Please feel free to give me as much detail as you can about her and any medical problems or history. Also, how much does she weigh, and what breed, and what do you feed her?

Thank you,
Dr. Devlin
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she is only 4 years old,always had a touchy stomach,but for about 4 weeks has been getting this bad breath and it is stronger after she throws up,i have been giving her otc antacid in the morning but about every 2 to 3 days she stills throws up.she also seems to be leaking a little urine sometimes befor she gets out of the door. she has always leaked a little when she gets excited.
Thank you for the additional information.

Is she vomiting in the morning usually, and does she get a morning and evening meal, and what kind of food?

Any weight loss?

Has she had a recent vet check and fecal exam?

Would you consider having her into the vet if needed?

Also,m how much does she weigh? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I have a good idea about what is going on.
Dr. D.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes usally in the mornings is when she vomits,she gets nutro natural choice dog food,no table scapes and only milk boones for a treat,she has not lost any weight has had a check up but not a fecal exam.she is about 13 lbs.she is a cocker and stiz zu mix.and she dose get 2 feeding morning and night.
Ok, great!
I'm glad to hear that she is on a good quality food.

Since she vomitings mostly in the mornings, it is quite possible that she has biliary reflux syndrome.

Bilious vomiting syndrome is not an uncommon cause of vomiting in dogs. Dogs have a relatively rapid stomach emptying time - typically within 4 hours after a meal, the stomach is once again empty. The stomach contains acid, which is very irritating to the stomach lining, especially when there is no food to dilute the acid. When the stomach is empty, the acid irritates the stomach lining, which can also cause the dog to feel nauseated. Some dogs will not eat during this time because they feel nauseated, which allows the stomach to remain empty and irritated. The dog then vomits, bringing up stomach acid and sometimes bile. You may see clear fluid, or fluid that is yellow or yellow/green in color.

The way to break the cycle is to get your dog to eat small, frequent meals throughout the day and evening. The overall quantity of food should not increase, but instead of feeding 2 x daily, feed 4-6 x daily, with the last meal right before bedtime.

In addition, some patients benefit from the administration of medication to decrease stomach acid production, such as ranitidine (Zantac) and famotidine (pepcid).
For her size, you could give 1/4 of a generic pepcid, 10 mg, once daily, in the evening.

Further information on Zantac:

Here's a link to more information about bilious vomiting syndrome:

Also, you may want to try to feed her as early as possible in the morning.

Although it's probably not related to intestinal parasitism, it would not hurt to have a fecal sample evaluated for common intestinal parasites. In addition, I would not expect her to have foul breath on a regular basis with this syndrome. To be on the safe side, you could ask for your vet to recheck an oral exam for any infected teeth or gums, and to run a blood work panel to rule out diabetes, kidney disease, and other diseases that can cause an odor to the breath, and could also cause vomiting.

Please give her lots of pets from me, and let me know how else I can help.
Dr. Devlin