Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Can I give my dog Diazepam instead of her Valium?

Is my dog's Valium the same as my Diazepam? Can I give her half of mine, instead of paying full price of non-generic. She only needs it when she has to go someplace new, and then she has seizures. She is also on Clomipramine and I often wonder if the Clomipramine caused these seizures in the first place.

Diazepam and valium are indeed the same drug. The human formulation is the same as the drug given to dogs. I can not advise you to give any prescription drug to your dog. If your dog has been prescribed valium by your vet, then your dog should be able to take the same dosage of diazepam with no problems. You can read about precautions, dosages and usage information here:

You can read about clomipramine here:

Seizures can be caused by a large number of different things including no known reason which are called idiopathic. You can read about seizures here:

Given the number of different causes for seizures it is unlikely that the medication is to blame. I hope this information is helpful to you.