Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience

I think my dog ate something bad. Hes yelping when I pick

Customer Question

I think my dog ate something bad. He's yelping when I pick him up. I'm not sure what is going on. He's 4 months old Half Pomerianian had Chuluaha. He weights about 2 pounds.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Where are you picking him up at? Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea? We did he last eat? If you press on his abdomen from both sides, is he painful or uncomfortable? What color are his gums?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He just yelp when I pick him up and he just peed on me. His gums are pinkish black. He last ate about 4 1/2 hours ago. He did drink alot of water at 6pm PST. He seems very uncomfortable and in pain.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Did you pick him up under his abdomen, under his chest, from his front legs, cradling his front and back legs? Do his gums normally have a black color to them? He seems uncomfortable and in pain when you press on his abdomen? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seems just to yelp regardless where I pick him up. I picked him up under his belly. But earlier I moved his front leg he yelped. Sat him down and he yelped. He dosn't have any injuries to his structural body. He's wetting on himself sitting in my lap.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. He seems to be able to walk normally? ANY VOMITING OR DIARRHEA? Any blood in the urine? Have you noticed any straining to urinate? Anything around the house or outside that may have scared him? New people, outside noises, loud appliances?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, yes he vomitted at about 7pm PST. I fed him a new snack called Stella & Chewy's freeze bried dinner. I only gave him about the size of quarter of it.

This is what he threw up.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information. If you have changed any part of his diet, it can definitely cause some gastrointestinal upset. The new snack may be the cause. Pepto Bismol is usually fairly safe. I don't recommend using it if there are any bloody stools or bloody vomit; or if they have any abnormal bleeding or platelet problems. A 2 pound dog will only get a tenth of a teaspoon. This is a very small amount, about equal to 1/2ml. It can be dosed every 4-6 hours for 24 hours only, but if the signs persist, have your vet check him out tomorrow morning. If you notice any bloody stools, more vomiting, weakness, increased abdominal pain or pale gums; it would be in his best interest to have him checked out tonight by the emergency vet. These signs may indicate something very serious. A dog this age and size will have a very difficult time compensating for an illness like this. I am not sure what to make of the wetting on you at this point. I am not sure if there is any blood in the urine, or if he has been straining to urinate? Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There didn't seem to be any blood in the urine. It seems that he's cramped up in pain and that it hurts for him to move around.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. The wetting is probably due to the pain, although I can't rule out an infection. If he is in that much pain, it would probably be a good idea to have him seen tonight. There isn't really any safe pain medication you can give a dog from home. Enteric coated aspirin is really the only option, but with stomach problems, it is a bad idea. It can make it worse. The pepto may soothe his stomach some, but if he has a raging pancreatitis, it will do nothing for him. He may even be bloated. Hopefully, he didn't eat something that got lodged in his intestinal tract, but that is always possible. Any of these three issues can be severe. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How would something get lodge in his intestinal tract? What other kind of symptoms would he have if this were the case? He went poop today at about 4:30 ish.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
If he swallowed something that is not digestible and larger than his small intestinal tract, it can cause an obstruction. It can be painful on its own, but if it perforates the intestinal tract, it can cause a severe infection and be even more painful. Not saying that is what happened, but it is on the differential list for a dog with acute abdominal pain. Usually you would see vomiting and decreased appetite if that was the case. Hope this helps.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well I can tell you he just ate a bowl of dog food and is showing some signs of improvement. He did wet on himself again though. Would pancreatitis make this happen?

He just go up and out of his create to pee

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
He's showing signs of improvement.

I'll keep watching him through the night.

Thank you for your assistance.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
If he is painful enough, it can cause some wetting, especially abdominal pain. Glad he is doing better. It may just be a momentary thing. I just get concerned with such acute abdominal pain. If he is resting comfortably, and not showing anymore signs of distress, just keep an eye on him and have your vet check him out tomorrow. If getting worse again, I would have him seen tonight. Hope this helps. Good luck!!