Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Will it hurt my dog if it ate 13 birthcontrol pills. What do

Will it hurt my dog if it ate 13 birthcontrol pills. What do I do?

Hello. Thanks for writing in. How much does your dog weigh and how long ago did this ingestion occur?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

30 pounds. She took them sometime between 7-5pm while I was at work. I have two dogs I'm not sure which one ate them but they're both acting pretty normal.

Thanks for the information. Do you know the active ingredient or brand name of the birth control pills? What was their mg dosage?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Apri (ethinyl estradiol and desogestrel .15/.03
Thanks. Give me just a couple minutes to check this out, and I will be right back with you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks.

Thanks for all the helpful information. This specific birth control contains both an progesterone and an estrogen analog. Usually, the level of progesterone in birth control pills is not enough to problems for a single acute exposure. I tend to worry more about estrogens. They can cause problems with bone marrow suppression. For a 30lb dog, though, she would have to consume about 13-14mg of estrogen to cause an acute bone marrow change. I don't think you are going to have any problems here. Usually, we will induce vomiting and give activated charcoal if the ingestion has occurred within 2 hours. You shouldn't have any toxicity issues with this small amount, though. Remember that there are 7 placebo pills in a 28 pack, so some of these might not even have medication in them. It you were going to be on the safe side, I would get a baseline complete blood cell count on them tomorrow morning and recheck every 2 weeks for 6 weeks to make sure there are no white blood cell count changes. That is playing it extra cautious, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.