Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Our English Bulldog has had a runny nose lately. Nothing else.

Our English Bulldog has had a runny nose lately. Nothing else. He got his shots 2 weeks ago and vet seen him. He has had allergies all his life. Is this something to worry about?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. I am reviewing your question now.

Dr. Andy :

Hello, well it is not an emergency, however:

Dr. Andy :

A runny nose, whether clear discharge or not, can still be an indication for a upper respiratory infection.

Dr. Andy :

So, I would also continue to monitor for any sneezing or coughing fits and/or eye discharge.

Dr. Andy :

With allergies, I assume your vet has addressed that, but you can give a little benadryl, which might help a bit.

Dr. Andy :

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours. Benadryl can sometimes be a bit sedating, so keep that in mind.

Dr. Andy :

If the nasal discharge ever turns brown, green, or bloody, definitely get into a vet.

Dr. Andy :

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). Just Answer will only credit me for the time assisting you when you click accept. .Leaving feedback and a bonus is not required, but is greatly appreciated!

Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion and follow-up, if needed.

If you would like to ask any NEW questions in the future, you may request me through my profile @