ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

my dog is shaking and growling at what seems to be nothing.

Customer Question

my dog is shaking and growling at what seems to be nothing. She wont allow anyone in my house hold near her. She crys and yelps and tries to bite when I attempt to pick her up or pet her. She is still eating and drinking water. Please help with any ideas of what could be wrong with her
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry Little Bit is not feeling well.

How long has she been acting like this?

Is she able to walk and move normally?

Is she reluctant to lay down, jump or navigate stairs or slippery floors?

Is she standing funny, holding her head down?

Is her belly tense?

Let me know and I will try to help....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes to all the above... its been about 3 days now and the symptoms are slowly getting worse. She seems to know know who we are , her bed doesnt seem familiar to her.
Thank you for the additional information. It sounds like your dog is in alot of pain, and I am very concerned that she has only gotten worse after 3 days. I am thinking that she may have injured her neck or her back and that this is why she is reluctant to move, jump, be touched, etc. Even if she does not have a neck or back injury, she is clearly in pain, and I feel that she should be looked at ASAP. This is not an emergency, but it is very important that she get some safe medicines to relieve her discomfort, and that she see a vet to try and figure out the source of her pain. I know the timing is bad because this is a holiday weekend, but I think it would be best if you considered having her seen this evening by an emergency vet. I just don't think she is going to get better on her own, at least not any time soon, and she deserves to have her pain managed safely and quickly. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your dog, I hope she feels better soon and that nothing too serious is going on :)