Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

How do I get rid of the Parvo virus in my house

Customer Question

How do I get rid of the Parvo virus in my house?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I would love to help I just have a few questions

Do you have a puppy with parvo

What have you tried so far

Do you have other dogs in the house

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Candy

I volunteer for an animal rescue. I fostered a pup that had the virus. Now every pup that comes into my house gets it. All my other dogs are up to date with their injections (parvo and rabies)

Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry to hear this has become a problem the virus is fairly easy to eradicate in the home but not so in the yard as it can live for months to years longer in cool dark areas.

You can try using bleach mixed 50/50 with water and clean all bleachable surfaces.

There is a really good disinfectant called parvo way that several of our clients have used.This can be used in the house and outside. You want to clean all furniture and wash any removable fabrics including drapes. Wash any walls the infected pup may have come in contact with and well as all floors and carpets

Here is a link to this product I believe it is sold several places on line

http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/product/POWG

you want to treat the yard as well you can use a garden sprayer that you fill will product and hook to the hose. You can use the parvo way or bleach on the yard.If you are not worried about killing off the grass using the bleach would be best in the yard

You will want to treat the yard 2-3 times a month for 3 months.

Unfortunately we recommend not having vaccinated puppies in the home or yard for 6 months after a positive parvo exposure.

I hope this has been helpful,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy