Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog has an acute unsteady gait. What could be wrong

My dog has an acute unsteady gait. What could be wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

What type of dog do you have?

How old is the dog?

Was he runing and playing before this happened?

Could he have gotten into any type of toxin or medication?

When looking at the eyes, do they bounce to one side or up and down?

Any head tilt?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Joan,

Barklee is a 5 month old Mini-Goldendoodle. He has had no contact with any toxins that I am aware of. He was perfectly fine @ 9:30 this AM, as he was fetching his small Frisbee running with excellent balance, agility and energy.... In the house later this morning and afternoon I have noticed him very quiet and subdued which is very unusual for him.

At 4:00pm I took him outside. His gait, balance and coordination all seemed unsteady. He was quite wobbly. I have never seen this in him this way before. There was no nystagmus or other abnormal eye movements. His eyes do have a tired look. He is affectionate but lethargic.

His medical history is only remarkable for Giardia which he had @ 10 weeks when we first got him. He has had 2 - 6 day courses of Panacur for the in the the past months for his Giardia. He has never has any diarhea to speak of or any manifestation of Giardia that I can see clinically.

Gary

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Joan,

You may have already received this response. I am resending just to be sure.

Gary

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary,

I suspect if he had been playing hard he may have injured his back or neck while playing Frisbee. This is not uncommon for very active growing dogs. At this point I suggest strict crate rest. I would carry him out side to use the bathroom and back in. We want to be sure that his food and water are close by where he does not have to move any distance. Many breeds are predisposed to to Type 1 IVDD this is like a Disc problem in humans. This can come on suddenly after a hard play time. Since Barklee is part Poodle in his breeding, this is a viable possibility. The total rest time should help if this is what we are dealing with. You can also make a rice sock by using a tube sock and uncooked rice, tie it off and warm in the Microwave for a couple of mins. Wrap in a towel and place near his back. This may soothe him. I do suggest seeing your Vet in the Am for a hands on evaluation. Make sure he is eating and drinking and able to pass stool and urinate with no problems. If it seems to get worse or he seems in Pain I would consult an ER Vet. At this point I would do the crate rest until the am when he can see his Vet. Joan

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Bone-Joint-Muscle-Disorders/Intervertebral-Disk-Disease/Types.aspx

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is not tender along his back or neck.

Gary

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

He may not show it, but it can be there. The unsteady gate is what leads me to believe it may be the problem. Hard play cane lead to soreness in dogs as it does in humans. If he had the nystagmus, or a head tillt, I would lean toward an ear infection or a Vestibular issue, but since he played hard and was doing Frisbee, I tend to lean toward muscular or back pain. In any case, the crate rest should help until he can get a hands on Exam in the AM. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I accept your answer. Please do not continue to bill my credit card after this month. There should be a one time charge for only $38.

Thank You,

Gary

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

I do not have anything to do with billing as that is the site . If you write to

support@justanswer.com they will make sure you do not have a subscription. I will also report it for you. Joan