Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

why cant I give my dog melatonin I get for myself-if I adjust

Customer Question

why can't I give my dog melatonin I get for myself-if I adjust the dose?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christian K. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Christian K. :

Why do you wish to give melatonin?

Christian K. :

How much does she weigh?

JACUSTOMER-odffjxhl- :

She weighs 16.8 lbs. Has lymphoma for 1.5 years and has undergone 1 1/2 years of chemo off and on. I was told we were out of drug choices. Also have another dog 25 lbs who is deathly afraid of thunder and ow even rain storms

JACUSTOMER-odffjxhl- :

I need to try some alternative therapys-fast!

JACUSTOMER-odffjxhl- :

I have capsules that I get from the Life Extension Foundation that I could easly open up and divide the dose

Christian K. :

Honestly, that's not my area of expertise so I wouldn't even know the dose to start with. I'll opt out. Perhaps another vet has more expertise in this area.

JACUSTOMER-odffjxhl- :

I know that Melatonin produces interferon in the human body and is a valuable antioxident

Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Melatonin is used for Thunder storm phobia in Dogs. The dosage is based on weight of the dog. However I do suggest getting prior approval from your Vet to be sure that this will not cause any reaction with Medication you are giving your dog. This is not regulated by the FDA, so having your Vet approval is very important. These are the suggested amounts per weight of the dog for Melatonin: 3mg /35-100 lb dog, Smaller breed dogs get 1.5 mg, and larger dogs over 100 pounds may get up to 6mg. This site goes over the use of Melatonin in dogs. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/melatonin.htm

There is also Rescue remedy which has been found successful for use in Thunderstorm and noise phobia. It is an Herbal Remedy that is made from the Bach flowers and can be used as a rub in the ear or given orally. It can be found at many of your local Pet Supplies. http://www.rescueremedy.com/pets/

The last choice would be a Dap Collar. Which is a Dog/ Pheromone appeasing collar that can work to make a dog feel more comfortable in stressful situations. http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/gr/DAP-Dog-Collar.htm

Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You did not answer my question
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I gave you the information on dosing the Melatonin. You can give it, but not knowing what strength you are using, I gave you the suggested amounts. 3mgs for a dog 35-100 pounds, dogs under 35 pounds can get 1.5 mgs which will be the correct dosage for the dog that is 16.5 pounds. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have read-and therefore asked about giving a dog the same melantonin as I take-adjusting the dosage appropriately. I did not ask about the dosage-I asked about using the same for humans and dogs. The issue is not just about my one dog and thunder storms it is about my dog with lymphosarcoma. You did not touch that subject at all. Did you read all that I wrote to the first guy? And at this point I have already given them my melantonin.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I stated the dogs, meaning both can take Human Melatonin, I gave you the adjusted dosage. You may have misunderstood what I was trying to explain to you. They do not make a dog specific Melatonin, so yours was fine to give at the recommended dosage for the weight of the dogs. I also offered a couple of other natural remedies incase the Melatonin did not work. Joan

Edited by Joan on 8/29/2010 at 7:59 PM EST