Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM VMRCVM '89, 20 yrs experience in progressive small animal medicine and surgery

My 17 month old female Basset has been diagnozed with MAC (Mycobacterium

My 17 month old female Basset has been diagnozed with MAC (Mycobacterium avium coplex) found in her lymph nodes and lymph nodes behind her knees. One of the therepies is Prednisone 20mg #30 every other day 1/2 tablet along with anti biotics.

We will be bringing her back to VRCC near Denver CO. after 3-4 weeks on this therepy.

Her appitite is very strong but she still is not playing much with her sister or other dogs.

what is your opinion
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 years ago.
Hi and I would be happy to try to answer your questions. This a problem in dogs only very rarely as they have a natural resistance. Certain breeds are thought to be predisposed in some way and the Basset is one.

Was the diagnosis made visually on the pathology slides or was there more test done? maybe one called PCR? That is a reliable way to properly ID the mycobacterium. Besides avian, there two other kinds which can infect humans. M.avium is not one.

Usually when it does occur, it is in an animal that is immunocompromised. Has she been on steroids at all- even in her ears? This can suppress the immune system. It is thought that one way they get this infection is from eating wild birds. Any chance? Doesn't really matter.

I'm not surprised she is not playing and acting normally. This is a serious infection and follow all directions and give all medications per the instructions. Her appetite is likely being stimulated by the prednisone, it tends to make dogs eat and drink more. It should be helping her though so don't stop it without a veterinary recommendation.

Good luck, it sounds like you are in good hands and I would trust the vets who are treating her to do the right thing. Are you able to tell if the lymph nodes are smaller?