Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.

My dog has a sore on the outside of her vagina and it seems

My dog has a sore on the outside of her vagina and it seems she also has a little bit of blood in her vagina. She's been fixed and never had this issue before. It's a 150lbs female boerboel mastiff..

It seemed to be a raised sore full of blood/puss. My dog is purely an inside dog and rarely goes outside. I also have a 4 year old female lab, and a 6 year old female Yorkshire terrier

Do you know if she has any difficulty urinating?

Has she had normal urinations?

Is it a raw, ulcerated sore or more like a red, raw spot?

Dr. Debbie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has not had difficulty urinating to my knowledge. It's definetly an ulcerated type sore it's raised and right on the lip of her vagina but not inside on the outside lip.

As far as I know her urinations have been normal, she has puked twice in the last few days which is somewhat abnormal for her. Otherwise she's been eating and seems normal.

Just to be sure, there is only one isolated sore, none on her belly or groin area, just the one spot?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, just the single small sore.. Plus the blood coming out of her vagina.. but it was very little blood, I only realized it was blood because I touched it with the tissue because it seemed a little red, it was definetly blood, however it was not a lot of fluid/blood, seemed normal just had blood mixed in.

Well, there are only a few things it could be:

1. Yeast infection - which is fairly common around the vulva area, especially near the folds of the vulva. Often the skin is also red, though, so if it is just the ulcerated area and no redness of skin around it, this may not be the case. This is treated with a topical cream which can be bought over the counter that contains miconazole.

2. Bacterial infection - from an injury or in general. Most of the times antibiotics by mouth are needed but you can try a triple antibiotic cream such as neosporin on the area.

3. The blood coming from the vulva has to be from one of two places: the reproductive tract or the urinary tract. I would say this would probably warrant a urinalysis just to rule out any problem with a urinary tract infection or urinary crystals or stones.

Please let me know if you have more questions,

Dr. Debbie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would it be advisable to just take her to the vet to have them look at her? The blood seems to be of concern. Would I be able to take her tomorrow or would it be urgent?

I would let them have a look. Blood from the vulva is always a concern, however, it is not urgent. You can definitely wait until tomorrow to take her.

Dr. Debbie