Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

How do you wean a dog off Enalapril Thanks Barb

How do you wean a dog off Enalapril?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Walter :

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been with Just Answer since March 2006. Its my pleasure to work with you today!

Walter :

It isn't recommended to take your girl off of this medication without her vets consent, but it can be done as long as your vet tells you it is ok. In most cases if the dog has been on the medication less then a year then the vet will start by giving the dog smaller dosages reducing it to 3/4 the amount, then after a week 1/2 then another week 1/3 and then off completely.

This medication should NOT be stopped without your vets consent as it can be dangerous.

If you have any additional questions or need clarification on any of the above please use the reply button. If your satisfied with my answer please do not forget to click the accept button and leave feedback about your experience with me.

I want to start her on a alternative liquid. What is the dangerous you are referring to?

Walter :

I was referring to you stopping the medication completely. But if your switching to the liquid, your vet will likely just have you switch one medication for the other without any problems.

ok thanks