Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

A question about water intake / urination when dog is on prednisone...

My dog is undergoing chemo and he's taking prednisone. At the moment we have tapered the dosage from 2 tablets to 1 tablet. He's only 10 pound dog.

I understand dogs may drink more and eat more when they are on prednisone, but I am just worried how much extra water intake is normal. I noticed my dog drank so far (6:11pm) about 360 cc... he urinated a lot as well. Since he drank a lot, the urination is kind of light yellow. That's why I am concerned.

Could you give me some ideas how much water intake a day is normal for a 10 pound dog when he's on prednisone? Thanks.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer
I am sorry to hear your baby is having trouble.

You are correct that this drug does increase both drinking and urination.

Normal healthy dogs need approximently 8ozs of water per day per 10lbs of body weight
this is equal to 236 cc so while 360 cc does seem like alot it is about what would be normal when on this drug.
It is also common to see more dilute urine(lighter in color) due to the increase in water intake.

I hope this has helped easy your mind that what you are seeing is to be expected. Please reply back if you have any additional questions or concerns
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He has had another 40 cc... I think he will probably drink up to 450 cc. before he goes to bed tonight. Will this amount still be reasonable? He's not eating dry kibbles. I am feeding him home cooked meals.

When should I be concerned or do something?

Expert:  Candy replied 6 years ago.
It is normal for them to drink double what they normally do as long as he continues to urinate as well I would not be concerned. He will not drink more then his body needs right now.The increase can cause a lower ph and acidity in the urine and make the bladder susceptible to infection however I have never seen any major problems from temporary increases in drinking.
Now that you are beginning to taper off on the medication this should slow down over the next day or so.
I would not be too concerned however you can always call your vet and see if it is possible to go even lower on the dose.