Christian K.
Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My dog has a red, itchy rash all over the area around his penis.

My dog has a red, itchy rash all over the area around his penis. He licks and bites at it constantly. What should I do to help him heal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christian K. replied 6 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• Is there any bleeding or oozing?
  • How long has he had the problem?
  • How much does he weigh?
  • Does he take any medications or have other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There's no bleeding, but it does appear wet. I first noticed about 4 days ago that he was licking and scratching a lot. He weighs about 56 pounds. He doesn't take medications for anything else or have any conditions.
Thanks!
Thank you for the information. You can try giving 50mg of benadryl every 8 to 12 hours. It might make him sleepy but is very safe. That might help the itching enough to allow you to apply the neosporin. If things don't improve in a day or so then have him seen by a vet. He'll probably need stronger prescription medications (such as steroids and antibiotics) to get things under control. If you have more questions please let me know.